Appeal: “No Combat Drones!”
We oppose the use of drone technology for combat, surveillance and oppression.
Currently the German government seems determined to equip the Bundeswehr with armed unmanned aerial vehicles (combat drones).
We oppose combat drones because their deployment
- lowers the threshold to armed aggression even further,
- entails “targeted” killing of people within and outside warzones – without indictment, trial and conviction,
- terrorizes the population of the targeted territory by threatening life and limb,
- encourages the development of autonomous killer robots, thereby making more horrifying wars likely,
- initiates a new round in the arms race.
We demand that the German government and parliament
- cease the madness of production and acquisition of armed drones, as well as their research and development, and
- become engaged in favor of a worldwide ban and international proscription of these weapons.